These look fun and taste great, there’s even a possibility of sneaking in some extra veggies without the kids knowing 😉
If you’re looking for a healthy snack be sure to give these a go (they are easier to make then they look)!
Inside Out Veggie Rolls
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1/4 cup Obento mirin seasoning
- 4 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 nori sheets
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1/2 small yellow capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Lebanese cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 small carrot, peeled, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- Make sushi rice: Rinse and drain rice 3 times or until water runs clear. Place rice in sieve over a bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to drain.
- Place rice and 1 cup cold water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 12 minutes or until water has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a large ceramic dish. Using a spatula, stir rice to break up lumps. Gradually add seasoning, lifting and turning rice, until rice has cooled.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Cook asparagus for 2 minutes or until bright green and tender. Drain. Refresh in a bowl of chilled water. Drain.
- Place 1 nori sheet, shiny-side down, on a sushi mat. Using damp fingers, spread 1/4 rice mixture over nori. Sprinkle over 2 teaspoons sesame seeds. Cover rice with plastic wrap. Turn mat over so nori faces up. Slide plastic onto mat, nori-side up.
- Spread 1/4 mayonnaise along centre of nori. Arrange 1/4 capsicum, cucumber, carrot, avocado and asparagus over mayonnaise. Using mat, roll up firmly to form a roll. Unroll mat, keeping plastic intact.
- Cut roll into 8 slices. Remove and discard plastic. Repeat with remaining nori sheets, rice mixture, sesame seeds, mayonnaise, capsicum, cucumber, carrot and avocado to make 32 pieces. Serve.
- If you have left over seasame seeds, use them to garnish rolls.
x x x