It’s been a pretty topical question in and around the shop this week. Mothers, daughters, husbands and sons will waltz through the door, eyes peeled for the perfect gift, musing: ‘What exactly am I going to do for mum this Mothers Day?’
Conversations about flowers, chocolates and new perfumes have had us thinking: is there a gift large enough to thank mum for being mum? After packing school lunches, ferrying us from soccer practice to ballet and being that ever-present shoulder to cry on, we think not. But we’ve managed to pull together a few ideas that will help to show mum just how amazing she is.
- Take her on an adventure. While it’s easy to get comfortable in our urban surroundings with coffee at the fingertips and retail therapy around every corner, taking the road less traveled out of town always leads to some fun discoveries. Whether it’s wining and dining in the Yarra Valley, stepping out of reality and into a Daylesford Spa or packing a picnic and taking a hike through one of our national parks, jumping in the car with little more than a map shows that despite the activity, spending time together is one of the most valuable gifts.
- Host a High Tea. What could be more fun than making Mothers Day a group affair? Throw on the apron, send out invitations and bring the tea set out of the china cupboard because it’s time to play hostess with the mostest. One thing your mum will love just as much as spending time with you is sharing her special day with friends. The more the merrier we say!
- Get crafty. There’s nothing that says ‘i love you’ more than some serious creative effort. Whether it’s a home made card, knitted scarf, hand painted vase, photo collage or her favorite home cooked meal, major brownie points are up for grabs in the crafty department this Mothers Day. It’s one of those instances where ‘thought’ speaks louder than ‘bought.’
- Have a girl’s night in. Nobody is ever too old for slumber parties, especially when they involve old school chick flicks, avocado face masks and salted caramel ice cream. Invite mum over, pull on the PJ’s and get stuck into the pampering. Nothing will make mum feel 17 again like a good gossip and a sleepover party.
- Visit The Dressing Room! Still stuck for a gift idea? Luckily, we love our mums just as much as you do! Pop in to the shop next week or visit our online store at any time to check out the super cute range of clothing, homewares, accessories and other treats bound to put a smile on any mums face. And don’t forget to enter our Mothers Day giveaway! To win a Dressing Room gift pack valued at $150, upload a photo via Instagram of you and your mum OR you with your child, hash tag #tdrmum @thedressingroom to be in with a chance to win!
Happy Mum’s Day preparations!
The Dressing Room.
Who at some point has said, “I can’t cut my hair, I’m growing it!”? We know we definitely have!! The reality is that the longer you leave your hair growing without grooming, the more length you will have to cut off when you do eventually give the hair salon a visit . . . and then you’re back at square one (wanting long hair)!
We’ve put together a list of hair care tips that we’ve learnt from some of the best
in the industry to help you with growing a long and healthy mane:
- Maintain your locks with a trim every 6-8 weeks
- Use cream treatments suitable for your hair type to help repair and maintain your lush locks
- During the cooler months blondes should opt for a high lift tint to rest their hair from bleach products
- Use a thermal iconic hairdryer to cut down drying time which means less split ends from your hair being exposed to scorching heat
- Maintain your colour and condition of your hair by using the right products to suit your hair.
- Always use a heat protecting serum before applying heat to your hair, this will reduce the amount of split ends you get between visits to your hairdresser.
- Cut back on split ends and work with what you’ve got – find the right products to work with your hair naturally to avoid constantly using flat irons, curling tongs etc to style it.
Now whilst this might sound disgusting, it is really good for your skin! It’s a great DIY face mask with
minimal ingredients and no fancy tricks to make it work. We loved it, see what you think!
DIY FACE MASK
- 2 egg whites, separated from the yolk and placed in a bowl
- 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt (or any plain yogurt)
- Combine egg whites with the 2 tablespoons of yogurt. Mix together well and apply to face. Leave on face for 5-10 minutes then rinse off with warm water, followed by a warm washcloth.
- Your skin should e left feeling soft and smooth!
Your skin should be left feeling soft and smooth!
Ice-cream, ice-cream, we all scream for ice-cream!!
Just think of the fuzzy feeling you got in your tummy as a child when you would hear the ice-cream truck pull up in your street, or when mum would come home with a tub of Neapolitan ice cream.
If you were anything like us we would always try and pick the colours that would create the prettiest combo, and let’s be honest there was nothing prettier than a scoop of vanilla, strawberry & chocolate 😉
These soft, pretty colours used together are creating a nail trending combo!
How much do you LOVE ice-cream 😉 ?
x x x
With such a buzz for The Great Gatsby at the moment,
we couldn’t resist getting into the spirit and sharing some our favourite hair and malke up “gatsby” inspired looks.
Attractive and effervescent style at its finest!
x x x
Leaving the house today without moisturising made us think that during summer this would NEVER happen (possibly because our legs etc are constantly on show). It is just as important to take care of your skin during winter, keeping it hydrated and looking subtle. The last thing you want is for winter to be over and realising you have dry, rough skin to repair for spring!
One of our favourite beauty products that we cannot get enough of at the moment is ‘DermaVeen Everyday Moisturising Lotion’. This product is ideal for dry, itchy or sensitive skin which makes it perfect for people who suffer from eczema. What we love most about this product is that it is made from all natural ingredients and is safe to use all over the body including the face! We’ll often use it on our face over night and use a lighter moisturiser during the day.
Summer, Autumn, Winter or Spring, be sure to take care of the skin you’re in!
x x x
How should you be wearing your hair this winter? From big waves to slicked back looks,
according to Vogue Beauty these are the hottest hair trends for Winter 2013!
The Hitchcock Heroine Up-Do
“Real Girl” Hair
The Sleek Low Pony
Punk Rock Rebellion
Which hairstyles will you be rocking this winter??
x x x
The recent Met Gala themed ‘PUNK: Chaos to Couture’ definitely brought out a little punk in all who attended! The thing that most caught our eye (other than Ashley Olsen’s overlay and Kim Kardashian’s floral EVERYTHING) were the NAILS!!! Sooooo much detail, so much drama. The attention was clearly on the tip.
Now that’s what you call artwork!
x x x
You know it’s strictly FUN with a BUN! Nothing too ‘done’ means nothing too serious!
We’ve seen our fair share of up do’s, but who’s done it best without looking like they’ve spent 2 hours with a hair stylist?
Our top 5 undone buns :
x x x
If you have been a long time follower of our blog, you would have read many of our ‘nail trend’ posts from Party In A Bottle to Nail It-Xmas Style!
What once was simply a girly obsession, now has the ability to set world wide trends. There are ALL kinds of nail applications you can get now from prints and sparkles to caviar (not literally) ;)!!
Gone are the days of french, red & black. So what are we loving at the moment?
The 3D effect a.k.a caviar nails:
One celeb to jump on the caviar bandwagon was Jessica Biel, sporting 3D silver nails to match her sparkly frock:
We discovered a UK brand called Ciate on one of our ventures to the States & we LOVE their nail products!
They have created a Caviar Nail Kit, which is one of its kind. You can find it on their website
along with a demonstration on how to apply! We won’t lie, it doesn’t last a great deal but it looks great whilst it’s on 😉
x x x