Heard of seasonal cooking but can’t get your head around it?
Here are some key elements that are in season at the moment.
The idea is to base your meals around ingredients that are readily available and in season.
By keeping this in mind – you won’t be paying a fortune for imported fruits and veggies!
Why not try a yummy Potato and Leek soup this winter?
Potato and Leek Soup
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g sebago potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion has softened. Add potato. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add stock. Season with pepper. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Blend, in batches, until smooth. Serve.